THE COOMBE DEAN SCHOOL CURRICULUM
COMMUNITY - INTEGRITY - OPPORTUNITY
"Children need powerful knowledge to understand and interpret the world. Without it they remain dependent on those who have it"
The school curriculum comprises all learning and other experiences that we, as a school, plan and provide for our learners, Our vision is to deliver on a curriculum that excites young people and helps them to see the world in new ways, beyond the sometimes limiting confines of their own experience.
We offer a curriculum that is planned with the requirements of the national curriculum at its heart and that:
- Introduces learners to the best that has been thought, said and created
- Promotes the spiritual, moral/ cultural, mental and physical development of our learners
- Prepares our learners for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of later life
- Provides our learners with access to knowledge that enables them to pursue their academic interests as well as unlock future opportunities as adults who can understand, cooperate and shape the world.
Curriculum design at subject level conforms to what we already know about human cognition and how people learn. Principles of curriculum design such as scaffolding, interleaving and retrieval practice are embedded, aiding pupils to know more and remember more.
Learning experiences are not limited to the classroom and are supported by opportunities to undertake exciting and stimulating enrichment activities. In addition to visits to and from school, our learners can experience:
- Enrichment week in years 7-9
- Work experience week in years 10 and 12
- Annual applied learning days
- Life Education incorporating careers education
- Extra-curricular clubs during the school day and beyond
'A proper curriculum, grounded in the knowledge, concepts and overarching ideas of individual subjects is an entitlement for every child' Mary Myatt